Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated from Emerson School for the Visual & Performing Arts as an Honors Theatre Major.

Friday, April 30, 2010

"Born Free" Ban....

M.I.A.'s recent video, "Born Free", has been banned from U.S. and UK YouTube. The video depicts military/police violence against a targeted group, redheaded people. The video is extremely violent and is almost 9 minutes long. Was there a message behind it? I watched the video and I did receive a message from it. I took that the United States has hatred against people and will do almost anything to keep them excluded from our world, almost like the Holocaust. Why redheaded people? I think it was just a symbolization of "stupid" reasoning behind racism, sexism, homophobia, and alot of other -isms and phobias that people have. I think that was supposed to also symbolize that things that are uncontrollable, such as redhair, are reasons why people are hated. Hated for merely being themselves. YouTube hasn't released reasons why the video was removed but it can still be found in various ways on the site but under age regulations. This was a shock to me because when we discuss YouTube we talk about the freedom of what people are allowed to upload and that there aren't strict regulations. Maybe this means that there was an extreme problem with this video or does it just depict the message behind the video and song even more, that we aren't really born free in America? If you're interested in viewing the video you can find it at http://mashable.com/2010/04/27/mia-born-free-video/ and also see what Mashable writers had to say about it. I would say "Discretion".

No comments:

Post a Comment